Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sunday, March 23, 1902


Sunday, March 23, 1902
         We are all ready to depart.  I do not know the name of our ship, I only know we are to be housed four girls to each cabin.  I also know the English girls in our group are being favoured by Mrs. Martin, the chaperone –also English.  She told us the families in Canada prefer English domestic servants, with Scots second and Irish third and last.  They do not seem more refined then the rest of us.  I have also heard a rumor that some of us were misled by the steamship agents – they say the period of indentureship is for three years, not one as I was told!  Well, the agreements were signed, and there is no going back now. 
         We have been instructed to wear our warmest clothes tomorrow, for the winds on the great Atlantic Ocean are cold.  Now I have to pack and label my kist box.  I have said goodbye to the only country I have ever known.  Every night I say my silent goodnights to my little Mary, and send my love her way.  Will she remember anything of her mother, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment