Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sunday, May 18, 1899



         My brother has finally turned fourteen and has left school – not as I did, with sorrow and regret, but with right good cheer, eager to start his new life.  He is so anxious to start his life as an adult he was up at 5:00 and all packed by the time the cart came to take him to his job.  We will not see him again until Hogmanay, his one day of freedom.  I will miss his teasing and our late-night talks as we lay in our box beds.
         At the Markam’s things are getting worse for me.  Mr. Connor never fails to find a way to put his hands on me, always so no one else can see. I think he knows Mrs. Andrews is on to him.  I have a feeling I will be unemployed before long, for I cannot stand much more of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment