Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday, July 9, 1899


         I learned today that the word no is very powerful.  I was in the scullery doing the washing up when he walked in – Mr. Connor, of course.  He started out being nice and polite by asking me if I wouldn’t be nice to him, with Miss Fiona being indisposed and all.  I truly didn’t know what he meant, so I asked him, “What do you mean, sir?”
         “You little simple fool, this is what I mean,” he said, grabbing me around the waist and trying to force me backward onto the wooden table.  I was so shocked I couldn’t do anything.  Then he started tearing off my apron and pushing my skirt up over my waist.  By then I knew what nice meant, you can be sure!  “No!” I shouted, flinging the hot  soapy towel I was still holding at his face.  That gave me a minute to get out of the scullery.
         I ran straight into Mrs. Andrews, who only had to look at me, and then at Mr. Connor, to realize what was going on.  She put her arm around my shoulders and led me into the kitchen to sit down and collect myself.  I couldn’t stop shaking until I had finished the hot sweet tea she made me drink.  We both saw Mr. Connor stamp out of the kitchen and slam the door behind him.
         “Jean,” she told me, “I don’t think it’s advisable for you to work for the Markam’s any more.  We have to get you away from Mr. Connor, for your own sake.  I can’t tell Mrs. Markam what happened today, she would not believe he did anything out of place.  I will have Mr. Markam write you a good character reference.  He’s always liked you, and will be sorry to see you go.  I’ll tell them you are needed at home, with your brother gone and all. 
         “But what can I tell them at home?” I said, the tears starting again.  I can tell you I felt shamed, as if I had done something terrible.
         “Tell them the truth,” Mrs. Andrews said simply, “You have never given your parents a need to disbelieve you.  Your father is not going to go after Mr. Connor, he’ll know better than that.  Money and position always win.  Finish up in the scullery now, and then go home.  I’ll have the reference sent over to your cottage.  Good luck to you.”
         With that I left the Markam’s, and I will never return.



1 comment: