Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Sunday, August 25, 1901



         On Friday I was able to finally able to get the news I needed to get away.  Madam wanted me to post a special delivery parcel to her brother in Australia, and sent me across town to the Post Office.  It is right next door to the steamship agent’s office.  It was a long walk, but with Mary in her pram it went smoothly enough. 
         I found they are looking for domestic servants just like me to serve in the colonies.  The poster I saw advertised “high wages, good homes, and healthy climate.”  The agent I spoke with told me the high wages would come along after I had worked off my passage and period of indentureship, which would last three years.  After that I would be on my own and free to offer my services at the going market rates.  He suggested Canada as the most likely colony.  Servants are much in demand there, and pay good wages for domestic help.  He gave me the forms I would need to fill out, and told me I would be wise to wait until spring, when the weather warmed, for the Canadian climate is much colder than ours.  
         Then he spied the baby carriage waiting outside the office, and told me the bad news.  I would not be allowed to take any dependents to Canada.  I would have to make arrangements to have someone care for Mary until my indentured period is over, and then send for her. 
         So there you have it –good news on one hand, terrible news on the other.  How can I part with my baby for three years?  Who will take care of her for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment