Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday, July 23, 1901



         Sometimes I am very grateful for the really nice people there are in this world.  Yesterday when I was in the market Mr. Cameron the greengrocer took me aside and showed me the little pram he had tucked away behind his stall.  In it were some baby things and blankets, things Mrs. Cameron kept in the attic from her children. 
         Mrs. Adams makes me keep the pram in the little shed behind her house, but that’s all right.  It means when I go out to do my errands I can easily take the baby with me and still have room in the pram for our supplies. 
         I have been thinking of a plan.  As soon as my year is up I will apply to go to Canada as an indentured servant.  The one steamship agent has an office at the other end of the village, so I will have to be very clever.  I’ll wait for Madam to send me on an errand near there, pop in and find out what I have to do to get away from this place where everyone looks down on me as an unmarried mother.  Well, not everyone – Mr. and Mrs. Cameron were kind to me.  They have made my life easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment