Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunday, April 13, 1902



         We are sailing down a river so wide I cannot see the shore on either side.  There is a large map in the dining room that shows the river is called the St. Lawrence.  We are now heading inland, towards the city of Montreal, where we will be assigned to our families.  Before that we will sail past the ancient city of Quebec – we are told it’s the oldest city in North America, and everyone who lives there speaks French.
         Tonight we will try our best to freshen ourselves using buckets of warm water.  We have agreed to wash each other’s hair and braid it so we look presentable, and in the morning put whatever servant’s clothing we have, so as to make a good impression. 
         I’ve gotten quite fond of our ship, and feel quite reluctant to leave it.  I hope I will get a good placement – I think I am overdue for a kind mistress.

No comments:

Post a Comment