Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wednesday, April 16, 1902

       This afternoon I met my new employers.  They are neither English nor Scots, but Jewish people who emigrated from Europe many years ago, and their name is Stein.  They greeted me very warmly, and even seem grateful Mrs. Stein will finally have some help in their house.  They seem to have a large family.  Mr. Stein is in Montreal on a buying trip, he told me.  He runs a large dry goods store in Sherbrooke. He said Sherbrooke is in the Eastern Townships part of Quebec.  They told me we will leave early in the morning, as it is about a day’s travel from Montreal.
         Mrs. Stein seemed worried I would not be dressed warmly enough for the trip, and said she would bring some extra shawls and gloves when they came for me – April can still be very cold. 
         The Steins seem to be such kind people!  I think I will be very happy in my new situation.  Hopefully the time will fly by and I will eventually be reunited with my little daughter, who I miss more than I can tell.
         And so tonight the girls who shared the long voyage with me said their goodbyes and best wishes, and we all settled down to sleep with hope in our hearts for a better tomorrow.  Here’s to the future!
Here Jean Sinclair’s diary inexplicably ends.  We still have some of the letters exchanged with her cousin, and so Jean’s story in Canada is not entirely lost to us. Read on, as we enter part II of her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment