Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

June, 1902

35 Gordon Street,
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Canada

June, 1902
Dear Heather;
Here I am, all settled in a town called Sherbrooke, not far from the American border.  Let me tell you what has happened since I left you, so long ago. 
I met my employers in Montreal, a lovely family by the name of Stein.  They have five children, and were actually worried I would not be warm enough, and they were right.  Even with a borrowed shawl and mittens the April weather was cold, compared with dear old Scotland.  The Steins are Jewish but told me they are not what they call “observant.”  They are much more relaxed about having servants than the people I have been in service with, and started treating me almost like one of the family right away.  Mrs. Stein told me she loves my Scottish accent, which surprised me – I thought our way of speech quite normal, and their way of talking flat and almost no expression at all.  The children are darling, from two to eleven years.
And here’s the big surprise.  When I had my birthday the family celebrated it with a special cake that Mrs. Stein baked herself!  Not only that, they gave me a lovely box of stationary, and some stamps for overseas mail.  I was so grateful-especially since I won’t see any wages of my own for three (yes, three!) years. (If I’m lucky, and find employment when I am done here.
Sherbrooke has a population of just under 10 000 but it has its own hospital and a few schools.  There are mountains and lakes all around the city.  The biggest mountain, Mount Bellevue, is right in the middle of the city, and it is going to be used for downhill skiing someday soon.  And this is a funny thing – Most of the people in Quebec are French-speaking, but because the English are so powerful that English is spoken in all the shops and other businesses, and here in Sherbrooke it is the same.  Those English - not regarding anyone's ways but their own!
I do hope this finds you well.  I often think about how you are coping with the babies.  I don’t worry at all about Mary’s welfare, I know she is safe and happy with you and your family.  Please give her kisses and hugs from me.  By next year she will be old enough for you to read a letter from her mother.
If you should hear from my mother, please share my news with her and give her my address if she asks.
Much Love,
Jean
P.S.  We are heading into very hot, humid summer weather.  It’s a land of such extreme weather-I’m not looking forward to winter here, I can tell you that!

1 comment:

  1. very nice, still seems strange reading about what life might have been like.

    ReplyDelete