Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hogmany, 1903


35 Gordon Street
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Hogmany, 1903
Dear Heather;
Happy New Year to all under your roof!  Just imagine, here in Canada Hogmany takes a back seat to Christmas.  The Steins say that even though they are non-observant, they celebrate a form of Christmas called Hanukkah, with lots of presents and a big feast.  And they even invited Cook and me to join them for dinner!  Even I got several presents, mostly warm things to wear.
You cannot believe how cold it gets here – some days the children can’t get to school, the snow is so deep the sleigh-horses can’t get through.  I enjoy those days, for Madam frees me up from some of my duties so I can read with the children, which I love doing.  The twins, Esther and Joseph, are nothing like each other in looks, but often they act as if they have one mind–always coming up with schemes to amuse themselves with, without even talking about it!  They are four, and full of mischief, let me tell you!  Next is Benjamin, who is seven, very serious and wants to do nothing but read.   He struggles with some of the big words, but manages to read such serious books, such as Oliver Twist and Treasure Island.  It’s a pleasure for me to help him with his reading, a nice change from the twins’ everlasting Peter Rabbit books.  Nathaniel is nine and loves building things with his little carpentry set.  He is not at all studious and only reads to understand the directions of what he wants to build.  He puts me in mind of my brother Henry.  Rachel, the eldest, is musical, and plays the violin like an angel.  Sometimes Mrs. Stein puts her workbasket aside in the evening and plays the piano while Rachel gives us a recital.  It’s lovely and at times like that, with the whole family gathered in the parlour, I can almost imagine I am the eldest daughter of this wonderful family, who treat me so well. 
It’s funny, but when I tend to the little two-year old baby, I can almost image she is my own Mary, although Lillian is nothing like her in looks.  Where Mary is fair, with blue eyes and curly light brown hair, Lillian is rather dark in complexion, with brown eyes and black hair.  Rachel dotes on her, and often helps me in the nursery.
Tell me, do you ever hear from my Mam?  You would let me know, would you not, if you or Auntie heard anything from Wick?  I miss it all so dreadfully, almost as much as I miss my own wee Mary.  Give her a hug and kiss from me, won’t you?
Much love from Canada,
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment