Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

June,1904


35 Gordon Street
Sherbrooke, Quebcc
June, 1904
Dear Heather,
I had such a shock the other day.  Mrs. Stein had one of her women’s groups in for a meeting, and I was asked to serve them tea.  When I came into the parlour they were having a heated discussion about women being denied the right to vote, and how it was unfair, that women were not even considered persons under the law.  One of the women asked me how I felt about not being allowed to vote, and I had to tell the group I had never even thought about it, it was not my place to express an opinion.  “This is precisely what I mean,” she was saying as I left the room, my face burning with embarrassment. “Most women have never considered that they have no rights – property is all in the name of their husbands and fathers, they have no money of their own, they have no rights except through the generosity of some man.”  Heather, to tell you the truth, I really never have thought about it, but I tell you this – once I have served my indentureship, I will never be anyone’s skivvy again.  I will work for myself, and hold my own purse strings.  I think the right to vote will only come when women are independent and earning their own money.  Now I’ll get off my soapbox!
Tell me, how does my little Mary?  By my reckoning she must be almost five years old by now, and will be going off to infant school next year.  Have you taken her to visit her Granny again?  I should really write a separate letter to her, and also to my mother, but I really don’t know what to say to either of them.  Mary will not remember me, and Mam gets all my news through you.  But please tell them both How much I miss them! 
And Henry too – I do miss those old days when we were growing up together and used to whisper to each other at night, from our box beds in the kitchen.
Let me see, what’s new in Canada?  We have a new holiday called Empire Day, celebrated on May 24, with parades, and picnics, followed by fireworks at night.  Mr. Stein treated us all to a new drink at the picnic, called Canada Dry – very, very fizzy!  It tickles the nose at you drink it.  Automobiles are becoming quite numerous now.  Mr. Stein has ordered a touring car to fit the whole family in from the new automobile factory in Ontario.  The car is called a Ford, after the man who designs and builds them.  He told us, when he ordered it, that Mr. Ford says he can have any colour of car, as long as it is black!
That’s all for now, Heather.  My love to all under your roof, especially my little daughter, and a special big hug to yourself.
Love,  Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment