Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hogmany, 1905



35 Gordon Street
Sherbrooke, Quebec

Hogmany, 1905
Dear Heather;
This may well be the last letter I write you for a very long time-it will take you weeks and weeks to get to Australia, and I may have moved on before I am able to know your new address.  I’m sure your mother will be able to forward my mail to you, at any rate.
I suppose by the time you get this you and Rory will have sold the shop and have your trunks packed and be all ready to emigrate. 
I know Mary will do very well with my mother and brother; I have no fears there.
It doesn’t seem possible that in a few short months my three years will be up!  The Steins have offered to keep me on for wages until the end of this year, and I will take them up on it, for I will be able to pocket my wages to give me a fresh start when I leave.  I have decided to move to Montreal.  I can turn my hand to almost anything - working in a restaurant or hotel, anything to be independent at last! 
So for now Heather, Godspeed – I know you will do well in your new life far away in Australia. 
Your loving cousin,
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment