Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

New Year's Eve, 1898



         Well, the fine wedding is over and the newly weds are off on their grand tour of Europe.  They will be gone for six months.  Mr. Connor wants Fiona to get “some polish” on the continent before he brings her back to Wick so she can be his society hostess in their fine grand new house. 
         I thought the preparations would never end!  All I really had to do was carry on with my own duties, for the reception was to be held in the new house, and Mr. Connor’s own staff prepared the refreshments.  I did help with the packing of the traveling trunks Miss Fiona took with her – four large ones, and several hatboxes.  She’ll come back with much more, for they are going to shop for some fine new Paris gowns.
         Once the wedding party had left the house seemed so quiet.  Mr. Markam just said, “Well, that’s that, then,” went into his study and closed the door.  Madam went upstairs for a nap, and I just continued cleaning.  Yesterday Mrs. Andrews told me I could leave when my duties were finished, and have all of New Year’s Day to spend with my family.  She said it almost kindly to me, and then gave me a parcel – “a little present to share with those at home,” she said, “You’re a good girl Jean, and a hard worker.  Never mind about Mr. Connor.  Just stay out of his way.”  So I wonder if he had been bothering her – as if he would dare!
         I took Mr. Markam his tea and when I came to take away the tray there was another half a crown on it.  “Get something nice for yourself, Jean.  It’s a little Hogmanay present.”
         I felt so thankful.  On the way home I bought my Da some pipe tobacco, a nice comb for Mam to put in her hair, and for Henry, a new penknife.  He broke his a while ago.  I still have a little left over to add to my little hoard.
         After Mass that evening we came home to a roast goose dinner, followed by the oranges and nuts that were in Mrs. Andrew’s parcel. How I love this time of the year!  Everyone seems kinder and nicer to each other.   If only it could be like that every day.





No comments:

Post a Comment