Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Sunday, September 18, 1898


         I’ve had a pleasant six weeks, with Madam and Fiona away.  Mr. Markam is also away on a business trip to America-New York, I heard him tell his wife  that this was a good time for it.  Madam took Mrs. Andrews with them, since she “didn’t trust” anyone else to see their clothing was well taken care of.  She looked pointedly at me when she said it- all because I scorched a tiny corner of her petticoat! 
         Mrs. Andrews gave me a great long list of duties before she left – scrub this, scrub that, polish all the windows, wash and iron anything that is possible to wash and iron.  Everything must look – what was the word she used?  Pristine, the house must look pristine.
         So that leaves Cook to keep me company.  I like cook.  She is round and jolly, with red cheeks, always smiling.  She is using the time to give the kitchen a good cleaning, scrubbing out the cupboards and pantry.  She always has the time to cook up a little treat for us to share, a little pudding, or baked apples, things like that.  It makes a nice change from the bread and cheese I carry here for my noon-time dinner.  (My dinner is actually later than that – by the time the family is fed and their tea served it’s usually closer to two, when I’m given half an hour to eat.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment