Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday, September 18, 1898



Mr. Markam was in high spirits last week when he heard the Conservative party had won the political elections.  He says now the businessman will be treated with respect, and will be allowed to go about his affairs without Liberal interference.
         I saw in the newspaper there has been a terrible earthquake somewhere in Europe.  I wonder what people do when their homes have been destroyed?  There was also a story about some boys in France finding a cave filled with marvelous paintings of animals, and the scientists are saying the paintings go back thousands and thousands of years, way before anyone started writing any history.
         I’m so glad I am allowed to take the newspapers.  Sometimes I don’t understand all the words but it makes me feel better about having to leave school.  Henry can’t wait to leave school.  Says it’s a waste of his time, and can’t see how it can possibly help him when he’s ‘prenticed.  I told him he’ll have to learn to read building plans, contracts and the like.  He just said he knows how to read already, just doesn’t do it unless he absolutely has to. 
         Fiona has a beau!  He’s old, about thirty, and walks like he has flat feet, but moons about Fiona making sheep’s eyes.  He’s also rich, I heard Madam say, so I expect they’ll be engaged soon.  Mrs. Markam is taking Fiona away to Aberdeen for a holiday, to visit her family there.  I think it’s also to make sure Mr. Connor misses her and will declare his intentions when they return in August.  Absence, they say, makes the heart grow fonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment