Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sunday, July 10, 1898

        The dinner party went off just as Mrs. Markam had planned.  Cook prepared a wonderful feast, it took both of us all day.  Thank goodness Mrs. Andrews took over the job of setting the huge dinner table, I could never get all the glasses and silverware all lined up properly, let along fold all the napkins as nicely as she can.  She even arranged the flowers and candles herself, and lettered all the place cards.  It really did look beautiful.  The only thing she had me do was to place two or three chamber pots discretely behind the drapes.  “Gentlemen will use them to relieve themselves after the ladies have withdrawn to the drawing room,” she told me.  From the looks of things they certainly did!  Although I was dead on my feet after washing up after the party, I had to go back into the dining room and carry the pots out back and empty them.  What a strang stink it was!  

         The next day, though, there was a pleasant surprise.  As I was leaving for the day Mr. Markam slipped me half a crown, “for all the extra work”.  Then he put a finger alongside his nose to tell me this was just between the two of us.  I’ll keep that money for myself.  I earned it for the chamber pots if nothing else!

No comments:

Post a Comment