Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Friday, July 16,1899


         Well, tomorrow I must start to pack up my kist box and prepare to leave home for my new job.  My cousin Heather is a parlour maid for an important family near Thurso, and that’s where I will be starting on this coming Monday.  My Da took me for an interview with the housekeeper a couple of weeks ago, and I will become one of a staff of 40, starting as a kitchen maid.  The house is splendid, and I will tell you all about it when I am settled in. 
         I have had a pleasant month at home with Mam and Da, helping with the animals and outdoor chores, a real pleasure in this fine early summer.  I will be sorry to leave my parents, but I will be given one whole day a month to travel home and see them, if I can arrange transport. 
         My Da was so happy to be given a few days work in Caithness, helping to repair some outbuildings near Castle Girnigoe.  Now this is an interesting thing I found out – the Sinclair Castle and the Castle Girnigoe are actually one and the same! 
         Every day I walked over to the worksite with a basket of food my Da’s noontime meal, and had a while to listen to some of the tales the workmen would tell about the Sinclairs – they are all related to us in one form or another, distant cousins mostly, and they all have their tales.  I will write some of them out next time, tonight I am too weary to write any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment