Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

sunday, February 12, 1900



         Martha and I have been very busy getting ready for the great family visit next month.  She has been teaching me to prepare creams and lotions for the ladies’ toiletries, tonics and cough medicine for the children, flea powder for all the dogs the family will be bringing as well as the four that already live here, and various herbal preparations for teas.  I have been grinding up rose hips with the mortar and pestle until my arms ache!
         Martha has confided in me that she is hoping to be married by the end of this year.  She has been walking out with one of the footmen, although she won’t tell me his name.  They meet in town once a month at the home of a friend.  “The wedding may be sooner,” she told me with a wink, “If you ken my meaning.”
          I know this is often the highland way, to wait until a wedding is necessary to save a girl from disgrace, but I will only be sixteen this year, and it will be years before I think of getting wed.  There is so much of the world I want to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment