Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sunday, October 1, 1899



         The trip back to Wick was very hard, for the horse-drawn omnibus took a long time to get home, and I barely had time for tea with my parents when I had to turn around and get back to Abbott House.  It was midnight before I got off to bed, and felt out of sorts for the next few days. 
         One of the good things about working in the kitchen is that often the newspaper comes back on one of the trays.  No one else seems to want to read it, so I am able to go back to finding out what’s going on in the world when I have a minute to spare – not that I get many minutes to spare!
         There has been a horrible hurricane somewhere in the Caribbean.  Over 2,000 people were killed, but many died afterwards from an awful disease called cholera.  The paper said Cholera could become a world-wide problem, and it comes from invisible germs in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment