Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Friday, April 20, 1900


         The family has been away for a few days, visiting relatives in Inverness, so the house is very quiet.  We are not needed to do much upstairs, simply make sure everything is fresh and clean when they return tomorrow.  Martha and I gave the Still Room a good cleaning this morning and after our mid-day meal she said we both needed a good rest and sent me off to my room until tea-time in the Servant’s Hall.  Don’t let Mrs. Burn see you go, she told me with a wink.  Mrs. Burns never comes up to the attic where we maids sleep.  I brought the newspaper with me to have a good read.  
         Now here is a phrase I have never seen before – concentration camp.  It seems that in South Africa the British Army have been destroying the Boer farms and forcing thousands of women and children into camps.  Over 20 000 have already died because of  the overcrowding, and poor food supplies.  I don’t understand how the papers can praise the military the way they do.  I hope Angus only has to fight the Boer soldiers, not have anything to do with all those poor women and children!
                  I also read that in New York they now have electric buses!  We have some electricity in Abbott House, but only in the family’s quarters.  I wonder how a bus would run on it?
          I almost wish the family would stay away.  As much as I want to see Angus again I don’t know if I want to know what might happen between we two.

No comments:

Post a Comment