Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday, April 15, 1900



         What am I going to do?  I can’t tell anybody, I can’t ask advice of anybody.  Not even my cousin Heather.  I would be sacked for sure if anything ever got out. 
         A few days ago I was getting ready to return to the Still Room, late in the afternoon.  I saw Master Angus and his brother coming down the hallway, and just as we had been trained to do I turned myself to the wall, seeking to be invisible.  As they passed I felt him slip something into my apron pocket.  No one else saw, for Angus’ brother was looking in the opposite direction.  I did not dare let on I had noticed anything.  When I returned to the Still Room Agnes was busy, and called me to come and help her at once.  It was not until bedtime I had the opportunity to look in my pocket.
         The girls I share with are always so tired, poor things, they often are asleep as soon as they lay down.  Besides, they know I am a reader, and think I am getting out a book when I reach under the mattress for my diary.  I pull the little curtains that separate our cubicles, light my candle and spend a few minutes with my diary.  It is only on Sundays I have a chance to write in it, but reading a few entries makes me feel closer to my family.
         When I was sure they were all asleep I reached into my apron pocket.  It was an unsigned note.  It read, “I will be in town with my family on Sunday morning.  After church I will tell them I am staying to visit with some old friends.  I would be honoured if you would meet me and spend the afternoon with a lonely soldier.”  He had named a small tea shop tucked away on a back street.
         My head is telling me to ignore the note, forget I ever got it, be sensible.  But my heart wants to go!  Like my soldier, it is lonely.  What would it hurt to have tea with a young man in a chance meeting?

No comments:

Post a Comment