Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday, April 29, 1900


         Angus stopped by the Still Room on Tuesday to ask Martha for some flea powder to dose the dogs with.  While she was rummaging through the storeroom he slipped another note into my apron pocket.  I did not dare say a word.  He wanted me to bring my bible and meet him in the tea shop right after sent his family on their way after church.  This week has lasted forever!
         I knew why he wanted the bible.  However, I could not summon the courage either to go to mass or confession.  I know in my heart our love is right, but I know the priest would take a different view. 
         We went deep into the woods on this beautiful sunny day, and stopped in a little copse. Birds seemed to be singing in every tree. “Now Jeannie,” Angus told me, “We will marry in the highland way.”  We both swore our love on the bibles and jumped over the little creek.  Then we exchanged bibles and spent the rest of the afternoon in the little copse before returning back to Thurso, where I met Heather and we went back to Abbott House.  She is so full of her lad and his attention she didn’t even notice my hair was all messy!
         I know Angus is leaving soon, but I don’t want to think about it.  Soon I’ll only have the memory of this time together.

1 comment:

  1. If only love was that easy... well - easy and hard too...

    so enjoying this journey mom.

    love you

    ReplyDelete