Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sunday, July 8, 1900



         It took all the courage I have to make an appointment to see the priest.  First I had to confess.  I was so surprised to see that dour old Father McMahan wasn’t there.  In his place was a very young priest, who was replacing the regular priest who was away on mission.  His name is Father Campbell, and he was very kind to me.  He did say I had committed a very great sin against God and the Church, but he would help me.  He told me to give my notice at Abbott House, and he would write to the Mother Superior at the home for unwed mothers.  Oddly enough, it is located in Motherwell, in the Clyde Valley not very far from Glasgow.  “The sisters are strict,” he said, “and you will not be allowed to communicate with anyone outside of the Home.  The sisters will provide you with everything you need.  Not only that, if you choose to keep the child, they will send you into employment with one of their supporters, for one year.  After that it will be up to you to provide for yourself.”
         I told Mrs. Burns I would be leaving at the end of July, that I was needed at home.  It did make me very sad to see my parents, probably for the last time in a very long while.  I had to keep my secret.  Before I leave Abbot House I will lock up my diary and ask Heather to keep it safe for me.  I daren’t put it in my kist box to take with me to Motherwell.  Who knows what the sisters might do with it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment