Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Friday, February 21, 1902



         I remembered the advice Mrs. Andrews gave me when I had to tell my parents about Mr. Connor – “Tell then the truth,” she said, “ The truth is always best.”  I will write it down here so as to practise how the letter will look.
“Dear Mam and Pa,
I know you think I just disappeared, but that is not true.  This is what has happened to me.  While I was a servant at Abbott House I fell in love with a soldier.  We were married in the old highland fashion.  He went off to fight the Boers.  He died in South Africa.  I had a baby.  I named her Mary after you, Mam.  Now I am going to Canada, where I can make a better life for Mary and me.  Cousin Heather will look after her for me until I can send for her.
I know you will not approve of the way I was married, and would have turned me out if I had come to you, but do not fret over Mary.  She was baptized by a priest in the Church.  She is your grandchild, and Heather will be happy for you to see Mary, if that is what you want. 
I will write to you from Canada. 
Your loving daughter,
Jean
         I had a good cry after that.  Who knows how they will receive my letter, and what will happen to them all after I am going?  I have asked Heather to mail it the day after I have left.  Nothing must stand in the way of my plans!

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying reading this Mary. I wonder how close to the truth it is!

    ReplyDelete