Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday, October 13, 1901


     Madam has finally left, after locking up most of the house, except for a few rooms.  She is leaving me here as a caretaker,  to collect her mail and look after the garden and make the house look lived in, in case of intruders.  Finally I can relax a bit and not worry so much over the baby making noise, and I can hang her washing outside instead of drying her nappies on my back.  She did leave me a credit with the milkman, as well as the butcher, and enough provisions to make bread.  There are plenty of ripe vegetables in the garden and apples on the trees, although I am expected to preserve as much as I can, so her pantry is stocked when she returns.  With any luck, by the time that happens I will be long gone.        
          In the meantime, it’s heaven to be alone with my daughter.  She is already learning to walk.  I mean to enjoy being alone with her as long as I can, for if my plans work out she will be a young girl before we are reunited in our new Canadian home

No comments:

Post a Comment