Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sunday, December 15, 1901


        The day after we came back from filing my immigration papers Mary and I both awoke coughing and feverish.  Mine was over in about a week, but my poor wee baby was sick for weeks, it seemed.  I tried every stillroom recipe I had learned at Abbott House.  It seemed the only thing she could keep down was warm milk sweetened with honey.  Finally, towards the end of last week, she started to mend.  Now her cough is almost gone and she is no longer warm to the touch.  And she is smiling again!
         I will go through the house and give it a good cleaning before we leave to go to my cousin’s.  If they will have me I will stay there until I sail in mid-February.  This house will not see me again, but I do not want Mrs. Adams to think ill of me.   And so I will leave her house shining clean and everything in order.  Perhaps I will also leave a note explaining the circumstances of my departure – but I will not tell her where I am going. 
         I also have to find a way to transport us to Thurso.  Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Cameron at the market know of someone going that way, and what they would charge to transport us.
         Now that’s it’s really happening I find myself getting excited on one hand, sad and dispirited on the other.  Life can be very hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment