Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

friday, January 3, 1902



         Hogmany has come and gone, and we are nicely settled in Heather and Rory’s flat above the shop they own.  It is quite spacious, and nice and warm in the kitchen box bed Mary and I share.
         Mary and little Jimmy are already good friends, although they are too little to play, as such.  Heather told me in confidence she had a very difficult time with Jimmy, and the doctors have told her she cannot have another child – a blow for her, but she will be happy to have another baby to look after, even if we don’t know how long it will be for.
         During my time here I will make myself useful, either looking after the little ones or waiting on customers in the shop – I am so happy to be able to help out any way I can, for it makes me feel I am earning my keep.  It also frees Rory to go out and earn some extra money on the docks, helping with repairs to prepare for the coming fishing season. 
         Heather and I have many cozy talks in the evening, while I sew clothes for my daughter and she knits.   She is so warm-hearted!  On New Year’s Day I was feeling sad and sorry not be able to see my parents.  She put her arms around me and said, “Hush, hinny, dinna fret yerself.   It will all come rieght i’ time."  Heather has reverted right back to her highland brogue, now she’s back with her own people.         

No comments:

Post a Comment