Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday, November 15, 1901



         We had just come home from the market yesterday afternoon when the dark sky sent down some wintry snow flurries.  Neither of us has any cold weather coats, although I still have my old shawl to wrap Mary in when we go for our walks.  I rummaged in the cellar where there was a trunk full of discards and found some winter things to wear.  Luckily it never gets too cold in this part of Scotland, and I still have the good stout boots from when I was in service to the Markams.
         The next morning I bundled us up and set Mary down to play in the snow while I swept the walks.  By mid-morning the snow had already melted.  Luckily I have finished settling the root vegetables in the cellar, although I have not yet prepared the vegetable beds for planting in the spring.  That can wait until the ground dries up a bit.
         I saw a poster of our new king, Edwad VII on the notice board at the market yesterday.  He looks like an arrogant and overfed old man.  The kind of king we in Scotland would do well to rid ourselves of.

No comments:

Post a Comment