Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wednesday, October 30, 1901



         We spent most of last week harvesting apples – that is, I harvested while Mary played in the grass around the little orchard.  She was enchanted with the birds that came to feast on the fruit on the ground and gabbled her baby talk to them, all the while laughing her fat little laugh that can’t help but make me smile.
         So now madam has some apple creations for when she comes home – applesauce, gingered apples and apple cider, jars and jars all lined up in her pantry.  This evening Mary and I enjoyed a huge bowl of apple custard, washed down with a pot of tea – what a luxury not having to use second-hand tea leaves!  Tomorrow we will store all the leftover apples in straw.  Then they will go in the cellar to stay cool.  Apples keep very well, just like root vegetables.  I’ll tackle the carrots next.  I just hope the rabbits haven’t helped themselves to too many!
         Next week I will fill out all the immigration forms and take them down to the steamship agent’s office.  How I wish I could talk things over with my parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment