Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Sunday, March 16, 1902


         Tomorrow I will leave for Liverpool, where my group of domestic servants bound for Canada will be gathering.  Apparently we will be housed in a dormitory for a week before we sail.  There will be a chaperone for each group, and she will instruct us as to what to expect when we get to Canada.
         Today I went to Mass for the first time in a year, and found the Church no longer holds any attraction for me.  It must have been the way we were treated at the Home whilst waiting for our babies to be born.  I will still have to declare myself a Catholic, but in name only.
         Heather and Rory sat me down for a nice meal this evening, and after supper I sat with Mary in Heather’s big rocker and cuddled and sang to her until she fell asleep.   I would  happily have rocked and held her all night, and must have dozed, for later Heather very gently picked her up and put her in bed with Jimmy.
         My arms feel empty and cold.  I don’t think I will sleep at all this night.

1 comment: